COLUMBUS, OH (TOLEDO NEWS NOW) - Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine warns sports fans to be wary of last-minute ticket sales to big games or events like the Ohio State versus Michigan game.
"Ohioans have been continually scammed by online ticket sellers," said Attorney General DeWine. "We want to remind Ohioans to be careful when purchasing tickets online from third party vendors or online market places."
The office has already received complaints of fraudulent tickets sold for the big game on Saturday. One consumer thought he bought tickets online and wired money to have the tickets mailed. The tickets never arrived.
The Federal Trade Commission offers the following tips to protect yourself from a ticket scam:
• Check with the event organizer, promoter, or venue where the event will be held to learn how and when tickets are being sold.
• Be aware that the official logo and trademarks (or look-a-likes) of the event can be imitated to try to convince you that a bogus website, or ticket, is official.
• Read what others say about the seller. Search the Internet to find out about other people's experiences.
• Be skeptical of sites that say they "guarantee" tickets. Some companies sell package deals without having the tickets in hand. Even if the seller intends to get the tickets later, they may not be able to.
• Always print a copy of your order for your files.
Additionally, wiring money or using prepaid credit cards is a preferred way for scammers to be paid. Be very cautious when a seller asks for one of these methods.
Monday, June 17 2013 9:22 PM EDT2013-06-18 01:22:37 GMT
(CNN) - General Motors is recalling nearly 194,000 vehicles because of a fire danger. GM said water can get into an electronic module in the door, causing it to short circuit and catch on fire. The recallMore >>
GM said water can get into an electronic module in the door, causing it to short circuit and catch on fire.More >>
"Sesame Street" has helped kids deal with divorce, death and even hurricanes. The show is now introducing its first Muppet to have a dad in jail. 1 in 29 children in the U.S. has a parent behind bars. The Sesame Workshop has an online tool kit parents can use to help kids. More >>
Tuesday, June 11 2013 1:36 PM EDT2013-06-11 17:36:50 GMT
The Boys & Girls Clubs' Race for Kids & Wellness Festival presented by Cleveland Clinic is a family-friendly combination of a 5K run, or a 1 mile run/walk, and a celebration of health! The event willMore >>
The Boys & Girls Clubs' Race for Kids & Wellness Festival presented by Cleveland Clinic is a family-friendly combination of a 5K run, or a 1 mile run/walk, and a celebration of healthMore >>
For the 2013-14 rankings, U.S. News surveyed 179 pediatric centers to obtain clinical data in 10 specialties and asked 150 pediatric specialists in each specialty where they would send the sickest children.More >>