COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Deshaun Thomas, a junior on the Ohio State men's basketball team, has elected to forgo his senior season of eligibility to enter the 2013 National Basketball Association Draft.
"My three years at Ohio State have been the best years of my life," Thomas said. "I have grown tremendously as an individual and as a basketball player. I intend to return to finish my degree, but I believe that now is the best opportunity to pursue my dream and begin my career as a professional basketball player. I will always be a Buckeye and am blessed to be a part of the Ohio State University family."
Thomas finished his career No. 9 in all-time scoring at Ohio State with 1,630 points. He led the Big Ten Conference in scoring as a junior with 19.8 points per game. His total of 733 points last season is third most in Ohio State history.
Over the last three years, Thomas helped lead the Buckeyes to 94 victories, three NCAA tournament appearances, three NCAA "Sweet 16s," a pair of Elite Eights and to the 2012 Final Four in New Orleans.
The Buckeyes also won Big Ten regular-season titles in 2011 and 2012 and earned a pair of Big Ten tournament titles in 2011 and 2013. Ohio State has appeared in the last three Big Ten tournament title games.
Thomas started the final 76 games of his career and appeared in 113 games as a Buckeye. He is one of 25 players in Ohio State history to reach at least 1,000 points and 500 rebounds (560).
"To see Deshaun grow into the man he has become has been amazing," Thad Matta, head coach of the Buckeyes, said. "His accomplishments on the floor speak for themselves but I am just as proud of him and what he has done off the floor. We recruited him offering the opportunity to grow as a person and player and that is exactly what happened. I know there is much more in-store for him in the future and I am proud to have been able to coach him."
Thomas plans to finish the 2013 Ohio State Spring Semester while splitting time between Columbus and Indianapolis preparing for the NBA Draft.
2012-13 SEASON HONORS
• 2013 John R. Wooden Award All-America
• 2013 Associated Press Third Team All-America
• 2013 NCAA West Regional All-Tournament Team
• 2013 Big Ten All-Tournament Team
• 2013 Sporting News Second Team All-America
• 2013 USBWA All-District V Team
• 2013 First Team All-Big Ten, coaches/media
• 2013 Oscar Robertson Trophy finalist
• 2013 Naismith Award Midseason Top 30
• 2013 Oscar Robertson Trophy Midseason Watch List
• 2012-13 Big Ten Player of the Week (Nov. 19, Jan. 14)
• Hall of Fame Tipoff All-Tournament Team (MVP)
• 2012-13 Wooden Award Preseason Top 50
• 2012-13 Naismith Award Preseason Top 50
• 2012-13 Preseason All-America
Noting Deshaun Thomas' Ohio State Career
62-Career NCAA tournament rebounds, 4th all-time