More than one year later, Miami Twp. homicide remains unsolved - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|News, Weather, Sports

More than a year later, Miami Twp. homicide remains unsolved

Posted: Updated:
Paul Leiter (file photo) Paul Leiter (file photo)
Paul Leiter's home in Miami Township, Clermont County. (File photo) Paul Leiter's home in Miami Township, Clermont County. (File photo)
MIAMI TOWNSHIP, CLERMONT COUNTY, OH (FOX19) -

Miami Township Police said Tuesday they are continuing to review evidence in the Feb. 11, 2013 homicide of a man in a home in the 400 block of Pinebluff Drive.

Police say someone shot into 65-year-old Paul Leiter's home through a rear window from outside the house, killing Leiter. The shooting happened around 8 p.m. 

"Based on what we know, there is no reason for anyone in the neighborhood to fear for their safety," Miami Township Police Sgt. Al Fatute said. "We do not believe that this was a random act and it does not appear to have been caused by stray bullets from recreational shooting nearby. This appears to be an intentional act."

Police investigators and state evidence technicians were at the crime scene for 33 hours taking photographs and collecting forensic evidence.

"We've worked with a number of criminal justice agencies to help us with the investigation. We want to be careful not to rush the investigation and to make certain that we're being as thorough as we can," said Fatute, who is leading the investigation.

Police said they considered several persons of interest to the case, many of whom were investigated by the victim's wife in her capacity as a compliance specialist with the Ohio Board of Pharmacy.

"There was some concern that this shooting may have been related to her employment so it was necessary that we interview and verify the activities before, during and after the shooting of those who she had investigated," Fatute said.  "It was a painstaking process and we've seen no evidence to suggest that this shooting had anything to do with her employment."

Police said a search warrant  was executed at the Michael Krusling residence near Bethel, Ohio on Feb. 15, 2013. 

Krusling had been investigated by the victim's wife years earlier. On the following day, he died. 

"This sparked a flurry of rumor and even some media coverage leading many to believe that the police had confirmed Mr. Krusling as the shooter and were no longer actively investigating this case," Fatute said. 

"That information is completely false and although we did investigate Mr. Krusling's activities just as we did with many others, our investigation has concluded that Mr. Krusling was not the shooter and is no longer even a person of interest in this case."

Anyone with information about this shooting should contact the Miami Township Police at 513-248-3721 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday or Clermont County Communications Center at 513-732-2231 (available 24 hours a day) or Crime Stoppers at 888-352-3040.

You can also text "CINTIP PLUS YOUR TIP" to CRIMES 274637. You will always remain anonymous with Crime Stoppers. 

The family has offered a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooter but police have received no tips through Crime Stoppers to date.

Related content:

Police release sketch of man in Miami Twp shooting death

CrimeStoppers offering reward for info on Clermont Co. murder

Copyright 2014 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow